If your boiler is more than 10 years old, you could be wasting up to half the gas you buy!
By fitting an A rated condensing boiler with a full set of heating controls you could save up to 40% on your heating costs: up to £190 to £230 a year off the average gas bill. With ever increasing gas and electric process rising, this could be more. Also you could cut down on approx. 1.7 tonnes of CO2 emissions a year and help slow down global warming.*
Is your heating under control?
Heating controls like thermostatic radiator valves and programmable room thermostats including weather compensation help you heat your home efficiently and maintain the desired temperature whilst keeping down your heating costs. When used correctly, heating controls allow you to keep your rooms at a comfortable temperature and to choose when to have the heating on, for how long and at what desired temperature. They will also ensure that your boiler is only turned on when it needs to be, or with some new boilers control range rating, thus helping you reduce your energy consumption and your fuel bills.
Energy tips to help you reduce your gas bills
The best way to save energy and reduce your gas bills is to make your central heating system more efficient. There are different ways to be energy efficient, here are some suggestions:
• Upgrade your boiler to a new A-rated condensing boiler: an A-rated condensing boiler can produce the same amount of heat for much less fuel and CO2 than older boilers.
• Have your boiler serviced every 12 months: servicing your boiler annually helps keep it running efficiently and reduce maintenance costs.
• Install Thermostatic Radiator Valves (TRVs) to all radiators: TRVs allow you to control the heat output of each radiator saving you up to 17% of your heating bill.
• Have your central heating system chemically power flushed: by removing impurities, corrosion and sludge from your heating system and adding inhibitors you can ensure your boiler operates and maximum efficiency.
• Install a magnetic filter to your boiler: magnetic filters like MagnaClean protect the boiler by removing magnetite deposits and boost heat transference from your boiler into the central heating system making the system more efficient in the long term. Some filters can also remove sludge deposits.
• Upgrade your heating and hot water controls to those recommended by the Energy Saving Trust: Fully programmable controls will give you complete control over the timings and temperature of your central heating system. The system can be programmed to suit your needs and save energy when it is not needed.
• Upgrade your hot water cylinder: If you have a bare copper hot water cylinder with an insulation jacket, you can save energy by upgrading to a new energy efficient foam lagged cylinder.
Did you know?
Carbon dioxide (CO2) is one of the main greenhouse gases which causes climate change. Around 45% of the UK’s man-made CO2 emissions come from energy we use every day at home and when we travel. By reducing our personal CO2 emissions, we can all play an important part in helping to prevent climate change and get lower energy bills too!**
*/** source: www.energysavingtrust.org.uk